Visitor Information

Visitor Information
Find tourist information at the City of London Information Centre, St Paul’s Churchyard, EC4M 8BX.

Whether you need directions, information about the latest events or suggestions for days out, speak to the friendly, multilingual team at the only officially recognised tourist information centre in central London. At the centre you can get Oyster cards, hotel reservations, foreign exchange, VAT refunds, stamps, postcards and tickets to attractions and tours as well as theatre shows.
There are also Visitor Centres at Holborn, Victoria, Euston, King’s Cross St Pancras, Liverpool Street, Piccadilly Circus, Paddington, Gatwick Airport and Heathrow Airport Terminals 2 & 3.

Choose luxury hotels, bed and breakfasts, self- catering apartments and hostels.
Book accommodation before you travel through Alternatively book through, which is its official hotel booking partner.

Tax-free shopping
Value added tax (VAT) is a 20% sales tax added on all goods except food, books and children’s clothing. Overseas visitors from outside the EU can shop tax-free in the UK, recouping some of the cost of the item. Don’t forget to ask in-store for more information about tax-free shopping.

Most department stores offer tax back and have currency exchange services. Global Blue and Premier Tax Free serve many department stores: Selfridges has a dedicated tax refund lounge that includes a VIP area, and in Westfield the Ice Bureau will give you a tax refund immediately.

Accessible London
London has lots of accessible transport options to make it easy for you to get around.
For more information, visit:

Passports and visas
A visa is not required if you are travelling from a country in the EU, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the USA and other nations.

All you require is a valid passport for stays up to six months.
Remember to check you are within six months of your passport’s expiration date.

For more information on visas, visit:

When travelling to the UK, you are allowed to bring certain goods from abroad without having to pay tax.

• If you are coming from a EU country, you can bring in an unlimited amount of most goods for your own use.
• If you are coming from outside the EU, there is a limit to the amount you can bring in without paying duty or tax. Make sure you check your duty-free allowance before travelling.

Emergency Information
When traveling to a foreign country, emergencies are rarely the first things that come to mind. However, just to be safe and for your peace of mind, here is a list of a few useful numbers and websites in case of an emergency:

• Police: 112 or 999
• Ambulance: 112 or 999
• Fire: 112 or 999
• Non-urgent crime: 101

Emergency doctor:
John Bell & Croyden welcomes walk-in patients
50 to 54 Wigmore Street,
020 7935 5555

Hospitals (Accidents & Emergencies):
– University College Hospital: 020 3456 7890
– Royal Free Hospital: 020 7794 0500
– Charing Cross Hospital: 020 3311 1234
– St. Thomas’s Hospital: 020 7188 7188
– St. Mary’s Hospital: 020 7886 666



London Planner London Planner London Planner